Program Overview

  • 3 years


  • 4,000 CHF/Semester

    Tuition Fees

  • April/July

    Application Deadline

  • Full Time


  • On-Campus

    Delivery Mode

  • English/Italian


The Bachelor in Communication has the ambition to prepare students to understand and then shape this increasingly complex reality, thanks to an education that identifies the interconnections between the media, the economy, culture, and society through an interdisciplinary approach. It also provides students with unique training opportunities, thanks to the knowledge brought in by internationally renowned lecturers and a study curriculum that encourages diverse skills.

Key Facts


  • Application Deadline

    July 31, 2021

    National EU/EFTA students

  • Application Deadline

    April 30, 2021

    International Non EU/EFTA students

  • Credit 180/6 semesters

Admission Requirements

Students who have, in another university or university of applied sciences in Switzerland or abroad, exceeded the number of failed examinations permitted by the Study Regulations, and have as a result been rejected by that university, shall not be admitted to study in the same Faculty or field of study (Admission and Matriculation Regulations, Art. 6).

Swiss diplomas, awarded in Switzerland

  • Maturità federale and Maturità cantonale recognised by the appropriate Federal Commission;
  • Maturità commerciale cantonale (Scuola cantonale di commercio, Bellinzona);
  • Final diploma from a university of applied sciences or diploma of a technical college recognized by the appropriate federal authorities: in these cases, where the field of study selected is the same as the previous one, the single Faculties may recommend admitting candidates to an advanced level of the program and exempt them from particular examinations or from the internship period.
  • School-leaving certificates issued by Swiss schools abroad are equally accepted.

Foreign diplomas

Applicants in possession of foreign secondary education and/or of a foreign university diploma considered to be equivalent are admitted to the undergraduate program. As a rule, reference is made to the guidelines of the University Admissions Commission of the Rectors’ Conference of the Swiss Universities (swissuniversities). Where equivalence cannot be unequivocally defined, candidates may be invited to attend an interview or to sit a test, and supplementary, pre-university courses may be prescribed.

Italian diplomas
Secondary education (or high school) diplomas conferred by the following types of schools are considered equivalent and therefore acknowledged for admission to the Bachelor programs:

  • Classical Gymnasium (or Lyceum);
  • Scientific Lyceum;
  • Language Lyceum;
  • Social sciences (or Humanities) Lyceum.

The following secondary education diplomas are also considered equivalent:

  • Arts Lyceum limited to the Bachelor programs in Architecture and in Italian language, literature, and culture;
  • High school degree in Administration, Finance and Marketing, conferred by a vocational high school (or trade school in economics), limited to the Bachelor programs in Economics, Communication, and Informatics;
  • High school degree in Informatics and Telecommunications, conferred by a vocational-technical high school, limited to the Bachelor in Informatics.

All other secondary education diplomas conferred by high schools or vocational high schools are not deemed equivalent. Exceptions can be taken into consideration for similar subject areas of study and upon fulfillment of the guidelines of the Admissions’ Commission at swissuniversities (formerly CRUS, or Rector’s Conference of the Swiss Universities).

With concerns to degrees conferred prior to the implementation of the current set of rules and regulations, the convergence tables for secondary education programs, as foreseen by the previous regulatory system for the high school and vocational high school system, shall apply. However, diplomas conferred by teacher training schools, professional art schools, and all other four-year secondary education schools will not be acknowledged.

As to qualifications awarded in other countries:

  • The European Baccalaureat is considered to be equivalent whereas the International Baccalaureat is accepted as a suitable equivalent only if the final average grade is above a certain class. More information is available on the swissuniversities’ website.
  • A US High School final diploma is not recognized as equivalent to the required certificate of secondary education. US applicants seeking admission to USI must submit evidence of studying in a recognized university or have passed 5 (five) APT (Advanced placement tests) with a minimum mark of 3, in two languages, mathematics, a natural science, and a history. Please refer to the appropriate guidelines issued by swissuniversities.
  • For foreign students, a good command of Italian is required for the Bachelor in Communication (B2 level of the international language certificate’s frames).

For further information, check the Università della Svizzera italiana admission page.

Fees and Funding

Tuition Fees

  • National Applicants whose official residence was in Switzerland (including Liechtenstein) at the time of the final high school exam (Maturità) pay a reduced semester fee of CHF 2,000.

    2,000 CHF/Semester

  • International

    4,000 CHF/Semester

Living costs for Lugano

  • Living Costs



The full list of scholarships offered for Bachelor’s programs is available here.

Getting a Student Visa

Since Switzerland is a part of the Schengen zone, a Schengen visa will win you the right to go to the country, but if you want to stay there as a student, you must take a few more steps. The procedures are different for EU/EFTA and non-EU/EFTA students.

After getting the acceptance letter, follows the process of setting an appointment with the Swiss embassy or consulate in your country. The procedure takes time, so make sure to set the appointment six months prior to your studying. The processing time for the short stay visas is around 10-15 days, and for long stay visas, eight to ten weeks.

For each document required, you have to provide the original along with three copies. The papers should be in English or in one of Switzerland’s national languages (German, French, Italian, or Romansh). If they are not in one of these languages, you will need a certified translation of those documents. 

Switzerland Student Visa Requirements

  • The completed and signed application forms for a long stay visa (D type) in one of the languages mentioned above. 
  • Passport – valid three months beyond the planned stay.
  • Four passport-size biometric photographs.
  • Letter of acceptance (certificate of enrollment) issued by a Swiss university.
  • Paid visa application fee. 
  • Proof of payment of the registration and tuition fees (for the first year of your studies).
  • Proof of sufficient financial coverage: copies of bank statements or a letter from the bank provided by you or your supervisor. Funds are supposed to cover living costs in Switzerland for the duration of schooling (21,000 CHF or 19,200 EUR at the beginning of each year of your studies).
  • Scholarship/Loan proof (if available) from an institution that proves that the scholarship or loan will cover all expenses for the study.
  • CV.
  • Letter of motivation, which should also include your professional plans for the future.

Submitting the Switzerland student visa application

After filling the application and completing all required documents, you should submit them in person at the Swiss embassy/consulate at the designated time of your appointment. Along with submitting your documents, you are required to pay the Swiss student visa application fee. 

After receiving your Swiss Student Visa

You may enter Switzerland after you receive a student visa. Within the first two weeks of arrival, you have to register at the local Residents Registration Office of your canton as well as visit the cantonal migration office in order to obtain a residence permit form.

B permit (a biometric card) is the type of residence permit for student stay. Prior to that, you will receive an attestation that allows you to open a Swiss bank account. It will take up to 8 weeks for your B permit to be processed. 

Student Visa Validity

The student visa or the B permit obtained in Switzerland initially is valid for one year. After one year, you have the option to extend it. However, updated proof of income is required in order for your student visa to be extended.


If you’re a student who wants to study in Switzerland but are not quite sure what are the steps of the student visa application process,  you are advised to read the following resources on Everything You Need To Know about getting a visa for Switzerland.

Work Permit

Find out all you need to know about work permit regulations for working part-time (during studies) and full-time (after graduation) in Switzerland.

Work while studying in Switzerland

For many international students in Switzerland, working while studying is an ideal option. Still, that is not recommended by some universities since it can distract and affect your academic work. With job boards and other advisory services, other schools facilitate job searches to help students. During the school year, students’ working hours are limited, and there are a few requirements they need to fulfill.

How many hours are international students allowed to work per week?

International students can work up to 15 hours a week in part-time jobs. But during semester holidays students can work full-time.


When are students allowed to start working?

Students from outside the EU/EFTA countries may start working only 6 months after starting their degree program.

Is there a work permit required for students working part-time?

Citizens from EU-27/EFTA states do not require authorization for short-term employment up to three months or 90 days per the calendar year. For an extended time, they will have to earn a residence permit. Third-country nationals are obliged to submit numerous documents to prove their eligibility for a work permit in Switzerland.

What job can I get as a student in Switzerland?

During your years as a student, there are many part-time jobs that you can do. For most students, employment in retail, restaurants, and others are sought-after options. However, a lack of language skills (in German, French, or Italian) can limit your employment chances. 

Work after graduation in Switzerland

Upon your graduation, you have the right to look for a permanent job in Switzerland. Prior to that, a residency permit that allows you to search for a job should be obtained. The permit is only valid for 6 months, and it cannot be extended.

What requirements do students need to fulfill in order to receive a residency work permit?

In order to receive the residency work permit, you have to provide proof that you:

  • Have graduated. 
  • Are financially able to support your say.
  • Have secured housing.

Are students allowed to work during this 6 months period?

During this six month period, graduates can work up to 15 hours a week. These rules do not apply for EU/EFTA nationals as they benefit from the freedom of movement under bilateral agreements.

How difficult is for international students to find a permanent job after graduation in Switzerland?

A non-EU/EFTA can get a job in Switzerland only if there are no qualified individuals from within the Swiss labour market or from an EU/EFTA state that apply for the position. Employers are required to show that they made “big efforts” to find qualified applicants from EU/EFTA countries or nationals who already have a permit to work. Furthermore, employers must show why those with priority to get the job were not suitable candidates for the position.


Your message has been sent.
You will soon by contacted by Oxfod University.