Program Overview

  • 3 years


  • 850 CHF/Semester

    Tuition Fees

  • Nov/April

    Application Deadline

  • Full Time


  • On-Campus

    Delivery Mode

  • English


In the Bachelor's program in English, you will get familiar with the complex field of English, its literature, and cultures while being introduced to literary, linguistic, cultural studies theories and methods. The students will acquire an understanding of English and its aspects from a cultural, social, historical, and cognitive perspective. The course is divided into the three areas of literary studies, linguistics, and language training. An essential part of it is acquiring excellent language skills, especially for academic use (written and oral).


During the years you’ll study at the University of Basel, you will acquire skills to develop in your career. Graduates of the English Program will be able to advance in various fields, such as:

  • Teaching
  • Marketing
  • Communication
  • Publishing
  • Journalism
  • Public Relations

Key Facts

Autumn Semester

  • Application Deadline

    April 30, 2021

Spring Semester

  • Application Deadline

    Nov 30, 2021

  • Credit 180 ECTS/6 semesters

Admission Requirements

Minimum required score:


Minimum required score:


Minimum required score:


Minimum required score:


Admission with Swiss educational qualifications

  • Federal or Swiss Matura
  • Cantonal high school Matura recognized by Switzerland
  • Graduation certificate from a Swiss university (bachelor, master, licentiate, diploma, state examination). This does not include qualifications at the advanced training level (MAS, DAS, CAS, EMBA, post-graduate diplomas, etc.).
  • Federal vocational baccalaureate certificate/specialist baccalaureate certificate recognized throughout Switzerland in connection with the certificate of the passed supplementary examinations in accordance with the ordinance on supplementary examinations for the admission of holders of a federal professional baccalaureate or a nationally recognized specialist baccalaureate certificate for university universities of January 1, 2017.
  • Bachelor of a Swiss university of applied sciences recognized in accordance with the federal law on the promotion of universities and coordination in the Swiss higher education sector (HEdA) (after the HEdA comes into force). This regulation does not include qualifications at the advanced training level (MAS, DAS, CAS, EMBA, post-graduate diplomas, etc.).
  • Bachelor’s degree from a Swiss university of applied sciences provided that the course/title is recognized in accordance with the EVD ordinance on courses, postgraduate courses, and titles at universities of applied sciences (before the HEdA comes into force). Qualifications at the advanced training level (MAS, DAS, CAS, EMBA, postgraduate diplomas, etc.) are not covered by this regulation.
  • Bachelor’s degree from a Swiss university of education provided the course/title is recognized by the Swiss Conference of Cantonal Directors of Education (EDK). This regulation does not include qualifications at the advanced training level (MAS, DAS, CAS, EMBA, post-graduate diplomas, etc.).
  • Subsequently acquired Swiss university of applied sciences title, provided that the responsible body has made a corresponding decision.

Admission with foreign educational qualifications

Foreign secondary school leaving certificates are in principle only recognized if the criteria listed under points 1–7 are fulfilled.

Foreign secondary school leaving certificates must

  1.  largely correspond to the Swiss Maturität certificate;
  2.  be the highest possible secondary school leaving certificate in the issuing country;
  3. entitle the holder to general access to all university faculties and programs;
  4. prove a school history of at least 11 years (of which at least three years were spent at upper secondary level/in senior classes);
  5. have been achieved in an unabbreviated way and, as a rule, in a classroom setting;
  6.  be in one of the following streams: classical languages, modern languages, humanities, and social
    sciences, or mathematics and natural sciences;
  7.  qualify as general education

General education – subject catalogue
Foreign school leaving certificates are considered to be general education if the last three years of schooling (upper secondary level/senior classes) include at least six general education subjects that are independent of one another

Documents for an online bachelor’s application with Swiss educational qualifications (fall semester 2021)

Required documents:

  • Declaration of consent (download from the online application area)
    (File format: PDF), (Status: Compulsory)
  • Passport photo (File format: JPG or PNG). (Status: Compulsory)
  • Passport or ID card (File format: PDF), (Status; Compulsory)
  • Maturität certificate or qualifications used as basis for application (File format: PDF), (Status: Can be submitted later), (Late submission deadline: Immediately upon

If previously matriculated at another Swiss higher education institution

  • Confirmation of exmatriculation (File format: PDF), (Status: Can be submitted later), (Late submission deadline: Immediately upon receipt)

If the applicant has previously studied at a Swiss or foreign higher education institution

  • Up-to-date academic progress summary for previous, uncompleted studies
    (File format: PDF), (Status: Can be submitted later)
  • Degree certificate and degree transcript/transcript of records for studies already completed (File format: PDF), (Status: Can be submitted later)

Documents for an online bachelor’s application with non-Swiss educational qualifications (fall semester 2021)

Required documents:

  • Declaration of consent (download from the online application area)
    (File format: PDF), (Status, Compulsory)
  • Passport photo  (File format: JPG or PNG). (Status: Compulsory)
  • Passport or ID card (File format: PDF), (Status: Compulsory)
  • Current CV in table form (File format: PDF), (Status: Compulsory)
  • School reports from last 3 school years (File format: PDF), (Status; Compulsory)
  • Proof of eligibility to study/secondary school leaving certificate or qualifications used as the basis for application (File format: PDF), (Status: Can be submitted later),
    (Late submission deadline: 27 Aug 2021)
  • Confirmation of university admission if required in accordance with admission regulations (
    (File format: PDF), (Status: Can be submitted later),(Late submission deadline: 27 Aug 2021)

For further information, check the official website:

Fees and Funding

Tuition Fees

  • 850 CHF/Semester

Living costs for Basel

  • Living Costs


Financial Aid

Scholarship funds from the university

The funds are awarded primarily in the form of partial scholarships during the final degree phase (BA/MA) and range from CHF 200 to 600 per person, per month.

Solidarity fund (Solifonds) from the student body

In addition to funds from the scholarship funds, these funds are awarded in an amount ranging from CHF 500 to 1000 per person, per semester.

Health and Accident Fund

The University of Basel has a fund that can cover costs incurred in the event of illness or accident and which are not covered by health insurance. Applications to the student welfare office are to be submitted, if possible, before treatment and with a cost estimate.

Study and Living Costs (per month)

Living costs vary significantly depending on personal circumstances and individual requirements. The following breakdown is therefore intended to serve as a guideline.

Studying away from home

  • Education costs 2 CHF 100/200
  • Accommodation incl. utilities CHF 600
  • Food 3 CHF 350
  • Clothing CHF 100
  • Health care 4 CHF 200
  • Transport 5 CHF 100
  • Leisure, culture 6 CHF 200
  • Misc. additional costs 7 CHF 200
  • Total (rounded) CHF 2,000/2,100

The Social Services team is available to explain and offer advice on any issues regarding financing (grants, scholarships, etc.)

For further information, please check the official website:

Getting a Student Visa

Since Switzerland is a part of the Schengen zone, a Schengen visa will win you the right to go to the country, but if you want to stay there as a student, you must take a few more steps. The procedures are different for EU/EFTA and non-EU/EFTA students.

After getting the acceptance letter, follows the process of setting an appointment with the Swiss embassy or consulate in your country. The procedure takes time, so make sure to set the appointment six months prior to your studying. The processing time for the short stay visas is around 10-15 days, and for long stay visas, eight to ten weeks.

For each document required, you have to provide the original along with three copies. The papers should be in English or in one of Switzerland’s national languages (German, French, Italian, or Romansh). If they are not in one of these languages, you will need a certified translation of those documents. 

Switzerland Student Visa Requirements

  • The completed and signed application forms for a long stay visa (D type) in one of the languages mentioned above. 
  • Passport – valid three months beyond the planned stay.
  • Four passport-size biometric photographs.
  • Letter of acceptance (certificate of enrollment) issued by a Swiss university.
  • Paid visa application fee. 
  • Proof of payment of the registration and tuition fees (for the first year of your studies).
  • Proof of sufficient financial coverage: copies of bank statements or a letter from the bank provided by you or your supervisor. Funds are supposed to cover living costs in Switzerland for the duration of schooling (21,000 CHF or 19,200 EUR at the beginning of each year of your studies).
  • Scholarship/Loan proof (if available) from an institution that proves that the scholarship or loan will cover all expenses for the study.
  • CV.
  • Letter of motivation, which should also include your professional plans for the future.

Submitting the Switzerland student visa application

After filling the application and completing all required documents, you should submit them in person at the Swiss embassy/consulate at the designated time of your appointment. Along with submitting your documents, you are required to pay the Swiss student visa application fee. 

After receiving your Swiss Student Visa

You may enter Switzerland after you receive a student visa. Within the first two weeks of arrival, you have to register at the local Residents Registration Office of your canton as well as visit the cantonal migration office in order to obtain a residence permit form.

B permit (a biometric card) is the type of residence permit for student stay. Prior to that, you will receive an attestation that allows you to open a Swiss bank account. It will take up to 8 weeks for your B permit to be processed. 

Student Visa Validity

The student visa or the B permit obtained in Switzerland initially is valid for one year. After one year, you have the option to extend it. However, updated proof of income is required in order for your student visa to be extended.


If you’re a student who wants to study in Switzerland but are not quite sure what are the steps of the student visa application process,  you are advised to read the following resources on Everything You Need To Know about getting a visa for Switzerland.

Work Permit

Find out all you need to know about work permit regulations for working part-time (during studies) and full-time (after graduation) in Switzerland.

Work while studying in Switzerland

For many international students in Switzerland, working while studying is an ideal option. Still, that is not recommended by some universities since it can distract and affect your academic work. With job boards and other advisory services, other schools facilitate job searches to help students. During the school year, students’ working hours are limited, and there are a few requirements they need to fulfill.

How many hours are international students allowed to work per week?

International students can work up to 15 hours a week in part-time jobs. But during semester holidays students can work full-time.


When are students allowed to start working?

Students from outside the EU/EFTA countries may start working only 6 months after starting their degree program.

Is there a work permit required for students working part-time?

Citizens from EU-27/EFTA states do not require authorization for short-term employment up to three months or 90 days per the calendar year. For an extended time, they will have to earn a residence permit. Third-country nationals are obliged to submit numerous documents to prove their eligibility for a work permit in Switzerland.

What job can I get as a student in Switzerland?

During your years as a student, there are many part-time jobs that you can do. For most students, employment in retail, restaurants, and others are sought-after options. However, a lack of language skills (in German, French, or Italian) can limit your employment chances. 

Work after graduation in Switzerland

Upon your graduation, you have the right to look for a permanent job in Switzerland. Prior to that, a residency permit that allows you to search for a job should be obtained. The permit is only valid for 6 months, and it cannot be extended.

What requirements do students need to fulfill in order to receive a residency work permit?

In order to receive the residency work permit, you have to provide proof that you:

  • Have graduated. 
  • Are financially able to support your say.
  • Have secured housing.

Are students allowed to work during this 6 months period?

During this six month period, graduates can work up to 15 hours a week. These rules do not apply for EU/EFTA nationals as they benefit from the freedom of movement under bilateral agreements.

How difficult is for international students to find a permanent job after graduation in Switzerland?

A non-EU/EFTA can get a job in Switzerland only if there are no qualified individuals from within the Swiss labour market or from an EU/EFTA state that apply for the position. Employers are required to show that they made “big efforts” to find qualified applicants from EU/EFTA countries or nationals who already have a permit to work. Furthermore, employers must show why those with priority to get the job were not suitable candidates for the position.


Your message has been sent.
You will soon by contacted by Oxfod University.