Program Overview

  • 2 years


  • 515/790 CHF/Semester

    Tuition Fees

  • November/April

    Application Deadline

  • Full Time


  • On-Campus

    Delivery Mode

  • French


The Master program in Ethnomusicology at the University of Neuchâtel aims to promote a better understanding of the world by studying musical facts, especially those that - until the dawn of the 20th century - had remained on the fringe of academic concerns: popular and/or non-Western music. This program combines three complementary approaches to musical facts: that of formal parameters, retained by musicologists, that of contexts and social uses, favored by ethnologists, and the acquisition of knowledge through musical practice, cultivated within conservatories.

Key Facts

Autumn Semester

  • Application Deadline

    April 30, 2021

    It is recommended for international students to send their files one month before the deadline.

Spring Semester

  • Application Deadline

    Nov 30, 2020

    It is recommended for international students to send their files one month before the deadline.

  • Credit 120 ECTS/4 semesters

Admission Requirements

The prerequisite for access to a Master’s program is a successfully completed Bachelor’s program in a related subject.

A Bachelor’s degree obtained in a non-related subject and/or in a foreign country gives its holder access to Master’s programs under certain conditions. Further requirements may be asked (e.g. 30 or 60 additional ECTS before the Master program, additional studies during the Master program).

For admission to specialized Master’s programs, the University sets additional requirements, equally applicable to all candidates.

How to apply

Before the deadline, applicants need to send the documents below:

  • The registration request form, correctly filled in and signed
  • 1 passport photo attached to the registration request form
  • 1 passport photo (not scanned) with the family name, first name, and date of birth on the back
  • A photocopy of the certificate showing the completion of higher secondary studies or a High School Diploma
  • For foreign students: the transcript of the three last years of High School
  • For students with a Professional High School Diploma (maturité professionnelle): a copy of the certificate of the complimentary exam
  • For students who have already registered at a Swiss school of higher education: please enclose a double-sided photocopy of the diploma in higher education
  • A photocopy of your passport or ID card (on an A4 size sheet)
  • A complete resumé (Curriculum Vitae)
  • Photocopy/-ies of the document(s) proving successful completion of previous university studies (if already obtained)
  • If needed, a photocopy of the supplement to your diploma or the list of grades and ECTS credits for each previous university year
  • If needed, the certificate of completion of studies from the last university or School of Higher Education attended (exmatriculation)
  • Proof of payment of administrative fees (CHF 100.-) if you have a foreign bachelor.


All documents that are not in French, English, German, Italian, or Spanish must be translated into French or English by a sworn translator.

Language Requirements

TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, IELTS scores are not required. ​However, the program is entirely in English and therefore a good command of the language is recommended

Students with a non-Swiss bachelor degree

Students with a non-Swiss bachelor’s degree are required to hold a bachelor’s degree in business or economics, math or engineering, or a bachelor’s degree in another field with sufficient exposure to finance and economics.

Students with a lack of finance, statistic, and econometrics courses in their Bachelor studies are encouraged to indicate in their application that they are interested in the pre-program with a start in spring (30 ECTS) or autumn (60 ECTS).

If accepted directly, students can start the master’s program on 21 September 2021.

If accepted conditionally, students can start the master program following the successful completion of:

  • A one-semester 30 ECTS bachelor-level pre-program (available in English) which begins on 22 February 2021. Successful students then begin the MScF program on 21 September 2021 (application for spring 2021)
  • A one-year 60 ECTS bachelor-level pre-program (available in English) which begins on 21 September 2021. Successful students then begin the MScF program in September 2022 (application for autumn 2021).

For further information, check the University of Neuchâtel admission page.

Fees and Funding

Tuition Fees

  • National Students

    515 CHF/Semester

  • International Students

    790 CHF/Semester

Living costs for Neuchâtel

  • Living Costs



Cantonal grants

Cantonal grants are to be requested from the cantonal service of the legal domicile of the applicant.

  • Information and granting conditions for the canton of Neuchâtel
Monthly scholarship – UniNE Social Assistance Fund

This scholarship ensures minimum living conditions for the student. Basic needs are taken into accounts such as accommodation, food, or health insurance premiums.

Grant conditions

  • Follow a Bachelor or Master course
  • Have completed at least one semester at UniNE
  • Not be entitled to other types of assistance (cantonal scholarship, social assistance, etc.)

Amount: max. CHF 1000.- / month. In total max. CHF 12,000 during a Master’s course

One-off grants – UniNE social assistance fund

One-off aid covers costs related to studies (tax, equipment, etc.) and one-off medical costs such as doctor’s bills.

Grant conditions

  • Follow a Bachelor or Master course
  • Have completed at least one semester at UniNE
  • Not be entitled to other types of assistance (cantonal scholarship, social assistance, etc.)

Amount: max. CHF 6000.- during a Master’s course.

Loan – UniNE Social Assistance Fund

Loans are used to advance a sum that is late in being paid (eg: cantonal grant).

Grant conditions

  • The student will obtain resources in the near future (eg: cantonal scholarship).

Amount: max. CHF 5000.

Mobility grant

Scholarships and funding for exchange programs are available to UniNE students.

UniNE Donation Fund

The Donation Fund is used to stimulate research and award prizes. It is used in particular to finance scholarships for members of the university community or to award subsidies for the reception of foreign visitors within the framework of research projects.

Swiss Study Foundation

Those admitted to the Swiss Study Foundation’s incentive program have access to interdisciplinary training offers, personalized advice, financial support, and numerous networking opportunities.

For further information regarding grants and scholarships, click here.

Getting a Student Visa

Since Switzerland is a part of the Schengen zone, a Schengen visa will win you the right to go to the country, but if you want to stay there as a student, you must take a few more steps. The procedures are different for EU/EFTA and non-EU/EFTA students.

After getting the acceptance letter, follows the process of setting an appointment with the Swiss embassy or consulate in your country. The procedure takes time, so make sure to set the appointment six months prior to your studying. The processing time for the short stay visas is around 10-15 days, and for long stay visas, eight to ten weeks.

For each document required, you have to provide the original along with three copies. The papers should be in English or in one of Switzerland’s national languages (German, French, Italian, or Romansh). If they are not in one of these languages, you will need a certified translation of those documents. 

Switzerland Student Visa Requirements

  • The completed and signed application forms for a long stay visa (D type) in one of the languages mentioned above. 
  • Passport – valid three months beyond the planned stay.
  • Four passport-size biometric photographs.
  • Letter of acceptance (certificate of enrollment) issued by a Swiss university.
  • Paid visa application fee. 
  • Proof of payment of the registration and tuition fees (for the first year of your studies).
  • Proof of sufficient financial coverage: copies of bank statements or a letter from the bank provided by you or your supervisor. Funds are supposed to cover living costs in Switzerland for the duration of schooling (21,000 CHF or 19,200 EUR at the beginning of each year of your studies).
  • Scholarship/Loan proof (if available) from an institution that proves that the scholarship or loan will cover all expenses for the study.
  • CV.
  • Letter of motivation, which should also include your professional plans for the future.

Submitting the Switzerland student visa application

After filling the application and completing all required documents, you should submit them in person at the Swiss embassy/consulate at the designated time of your appointment. Along with submitting your documents, you are required to pay the Swiss student visa application fee. 

After receiving your Swiss Student Visa

You may enter Switzerland after you receive a student visa. Within the first two weeks of arrival, you have to register at the local Residents Registration Office of your canton as well as visit the cantonal migration office in order to obtain a residence permit form.

B permit (a biometric card) is the type of residence permit for student stay. Prior to that, you will receive an attestation that allows you to open a Swiss bank account. It will take up to 8 weeks for your B permit to be processed. 

Student Visa Validity

The student visa or the B permit obtained in Switzerland initially is valid for one year. After one year, you have the option to extend it. However, updated proof of income is required in order for your student visa to be extended.


If you’re a student who wants to study in Switzerland but are not quite sure what are the steps of the student visa application process,  you are advised to read the following resources on Everything You Need To Know about getting a visa for Switzerland.

Work Permit

Find out all you need to know about work permit regulations for working part-time (during studies) and full-time (after graduation) in Switzerland.

Work while studying in Switzerland

For many international students in Switzerland, working while studying is an ideal option. Still, that is not recommended by some universities since it can distract and affect your academic work. With job boards and other advisory services, other schools facilitate job searches to help students. During the school year, students’ working hours are limited, and there are a few requirements they need to fulfill.

How many hours are international students allowed to work per week?

International students can work up to 15 hours a week in part-time jobs. But during semester holidays students can work full-time.


When are students allowed to start working?

Students from outside the EU/EFTA countries may start working only 6 months after starting their degree program.

Is there a work permit required for students working part-time?

Citizens from EU-27/EFTA states do not require authorization for short-term employment up to three months or 90 days per the calendar year. For an extended time, they will have to earn a residence permit. Third-country nationals are obliged to submit numerous documents to prove their eligibility for a work permit in Switzerland.

What job can I get as a student in Switzerland?

During your years as a student, there are many part-time jobs that you can do. For most students, employment in retail, restaurants, and others are sought-after options. However, a lack of language skills (in German, French, or Italian) can limit your employment chances. 

Work after graduation in Switzerland

Upon your graduation, you have the right to look for a permanent job in Switzerland. Prior to that, a residency permit that allows you to search for a job should be obtained. The permit is only valid for 6 months, and it cannot be extended.

What requirements do students need to fulfill in order to receive a residency work permit?

In order to receive the residency work permit, you have to provide proof that you:

  • Have graduated. 
  • Are financially able to support your say.
  • Have secured housing.

Are students allowed to work during this 6 months period?

During this six month period, graduates can work up to 15 hours a week. These rules do not apply for EU/EFTA nationals as they benefit from the freedom of movement under bilateral agreements.

How difficult is for international students to find a permanent job after graduation in Switzerland?

A non-EU/EFTA can get a job in Switzerland only if there are no qualified individuals from within the Swiss labour market or from an EU/EFTA state that apply for the position. Employers are required to show that they made “big efforts” to find qualified applicants from EU/EFTA countries or nationals who already have a permit to work. Furthermore, employers must show why those with priority to get the job were not suitable candidates for the position.


Your message has been sent.
You will soon by contacted by Oxfod University.