ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology

Bachelor in Food Science

Program Overview

  • 3 years


  • 730 CHF/Semester

    Tuition Fees

  • April/July

    Application Deadline

  • Full Time


  • On-Campus

    Delivery Mode

  • German


The food science bachelor program at EHZ Zurich aims to teach students to find a way to ensure that people are fed globally. This process should be achieved with healthy and high-quality food from the sustainable use of natural resources. In the first year, they will be introduced to the basics of natural and social sciences. Various courses are offered toward the second and third year, including food chemistry, human nutrition, food processing, and toxicology to subjects related to business and economics. With these preparations, the graduates will be ready to take on the job market.


After graduation, students will be able to deal with refining, processing, and preserving foodstuffs. With the knowledge and training they gained during the bachelor program, they will be able to work in different fields and be specialists in their discipline, including working in:

  • Commerce
  • International food industry
  • Administration
  • National and international organizations
  • Development cooperation
  • Service sectors

Key Facts

Autumn Semester

  • Application Deadline

    Nov 1, 2020 - Apr 30, 2021

  • Late Application Deadline

    May 1, 2021 - July 31, 2021

  • Start Date

    Sep 20, 2021

  • Credit 180 ECTS/6 semesters

Admission Requirements

Application with Swiss matriculation certificates

You will be admitted to the first semester of a bachelor’s degree without an examination if you have one of the following Swiss educational qualifications.

  • Federal or federally accredited Swiss or Liechtensteinian matriculation certificate (gymnasialer Maturitätsausweis) issued by a Swiss or Liechtensteinian secondary school (Mittelschule).
  • Federal vocational matriculation certificate (Berufsmaturitätszeugnis) in conjunction with the supplementary exam certificate (information in German, French and Italian: “Passerelle Ergänzungsprüfung”).
  • Nationally recognized specialized matriculation certificate (Fachmaturitätszeugnis) in conjunction with the supplementary exam certificate (information in German, French and Italian “Passerelle Ergänzungsprüfung”).
  • Bachelor’s degree, Diploma, Licentiate or Staatsexamen from a Swiss university (1st university degree).
  • Bachelor’s degree or Diploma from a Swiss accredited university of applied sciences (Fachhochschule FH) or Swiss teacher training college (pädagogische Hochschule PH).


Applications to the first semester of Bachelor’s degree programs must be submitted online. One dated and a signed printout of your application, together with your documents, must be posted to the designated address by the application deadline.

An application fee is charged. Proof of payment is required!


CHF 50.00 with Swiss and Liechtensteinian certificates

Application with non-Swiss matriculation certificates

The requirements for admission are given in the German language. You can check the PDF files down below for more information.

There are three types of admission to the first semester of the desired Bachelor’s degree program:

  1. Admission without entrance examination
  2. Admission contingent upon passing the reduced entrance examination (4 examination subjects), [Check the PDF file]:
  3. Admission contingent upon passing the comprehensive entrance examination (8 examination subjects), [Check the PDF file]:

Language requirements

The main teaching language during Bachelor’s degree studies is German.

Recognized German language certificates

The C1 German language certificate may be no older than 2 years at the start of the application period.

The Goethe certificate C2 may be no older than 5 years at the start of the application period.

Language certificate                      Required minimum level C1

  • Goethe-​Zertifikat C1 – with minimum grade ‘gut’
  • Goethe-​Zertifikat C2all exam sections must be passed
  • TestDaF – with a minimum score of 4 in all four exam sections of the same session
  • ÖSD Zertifikat C1 – with minimum grade ‘gut bestanden’ (both written and oral examinations must be sat in the same session)
  • DSH-​​3  – only the registered ® Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz – Zweite Stufe 
    DSD – second level with minimum level C1 in each examination part
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule – with minimum grade ‘gut’ (both written and oral examinations must be sat in the same session)

Who is not required to submit a German language certificate?

Applicants who meet one of the under mentioned requirements  do not need to submit a German ​language certificate:

  • Mother tongue [Native language] German: By ‘mother tongue’ we mean the main language which you acquired in childhood with no formal teaching.
  • German Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife, provided the school is located in Germany or in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.
  • Austrian Reifeprüfungszeugnis, provided the school is located in Austria or in Liechtenstein.
  • Luxembourgian Certificat de fin d’études secondaires.
  • Diplom über die bestandene staatliche Abschlussprüfung an der Oberschule at a school  located in South Tyrol and where German is the main medium of instruction.
  • Abschlusszeugnis der Oberstufe des Sekundarunterrichts of the ‘Deutsche Gemeinschaft’ in Belgium.
  • A full-time, classroom-based Bachelor’s degree program of at least three years’ duration with a Bachelor’s qualification in German, at a university in Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland.

When should the language certificate be submitted?

Submission of German-​​language certificate Deadline for submission
Admission without entrance examination 17 September 2021
Admission with entrance examination 31 October 2021

For further details, please check the official admission page.

Fees and Funding

Tuition Fees

  • 730 CHF/Semester

Living costs for Zurich

  • Living Costs



To find more information regarding scholarships, click here.

Getting a Student Visa

Since Switzerland is a part of the Schengen zone, a Schengen visa will win you the right to go to the country, but if you want to stay there as a student, you must take a few more steps. The procedures are different for EU/EFTA and non-EU/EFTA students.

After getting the acceptance letter, follows the process of setting an appointment with the Swiss embassy or consulate in your country. The procedure takes time, so make sure to set the appointment six months prior to your studying. The processing time for the short stay visas is around 10-15 days, and for long stay visas, eight to ten weeks.

For each document required, you have to provide the original along with three copies. The papers should be in English or in one of Switzerland’s national languages (German, French, Italian, or Romansh). If they are not in one of these languages, you will need a certified translation of those documents. 

Switzerland Student Visa Requirements

  • The completed and signed application forms for a long stay visa (D type) in one of the languages mentioned above. 
  • Passport – valid three months beyond the planned stay.
  • Four passport-size biometric photographs.
  • Letter of acceptance (certificate of enrollment) issued by a Swiss university.
  • Paid visa application fee. 
  • Proof of payment of the registration and tuition fees (for the first year of your studies).
  • Proof of sufficient financial coverage: copies of bank statements or a letter from the bank provided by you or your supervisor. Funds are supposed to cover living costs in Switzerland for the duration of schooling (21,000 CHF or 19,200 EUR at the beginning of each year of your studies).
  • Scholarship/Loan proof (if available) from an institution that proves that the scholarship or loan will cover all expenses for the study.
  • CV.
  • Letter of motivation, which should also include your professional plans for the future.

Submitting the Switzerland student visa application

After filling the application and completing all required documents, you should submit them in person at the Swiss embassy/consulate at the designated time of your appointment. Along with submitting your documents, you are required to pay the Swiss student visa application fee. 

After receiving your Swiss Student Visa

You may enter Switzerland after you receive a student visa. Within the first two weeks of arrival, you have to register at the local Residents Registration Office of your canton as well as visit the cantonal migration office in order to obtain a residence permit form.

B permit (a biometric card) is the type of residence permit for student stay. Prior to that, you will receive an attestation that allows you to open a Swiss bank account. It will take up to 8 weeks for your B permit to be processed. 

Student Visa Validity

The student visa or the B permit obtained in Switzerland initially is valid for one year. After one year, you have the option to extend it. However, updated proof of income is required in order for your student visa to be extended.


If you’re a student who wants to study in Switzerland but are not quite sure what are the steps of the student visa application process,  you are advised to read the following resources on Everything You Need To Know about getting a visa for Switzerland.

Work Permit

Find out all you need to know about work permit regulations for working part-time (during studies) and full-time (after graduation) in Switzerland.

Work while studying in Switzerland

For many international students in Switzerland, working while studying is an ideal option. Still, that is not recommended by some universities since it can distract and affect your academic work. With job boards and other advisory services, other schools facilitate job searches to help students. During the school year, students’ working hours are limited, and there are a few requirements they need to fulfill.

How many hours are international students allowed to work per week?

International students can work up to 15 hours a week in part-time jobs. But during semester holidays students can work full-time.


When are students allowed to start working?

Students from outside the EU/EFTA countries may start working only 6 months after starting their degree program.

Is there a work permit required for students working part-time?

Citizens from EU-27/EFTA states do not require authorization for short-term employment up to three months or 90 days per the calendar year. For an extended time, they will have to earn a residence permit. Third-country nationals are obliged to submit numerous documents to prove their eligibility for a work permit in Switzerland.

What job can I get as a student in Switzerland?

During your years as a student, there are many part-time jobs that you can do. For most students, employment in retail, restaurants, and others are sought-after options. However, a lack of language skills (in German, French, or Italian) can limit your employment chances. 

Work after graduation in Switzerland

Upon your graduation, you have the right to look for a permanent job in Switzerland. Prior to that, a residency permit that allows you to search for a job should be obtained. The permit is only valid for 6 months, and it cannot be extended.

What requirements do students need to fulfill in order to receive a residency work permit?

In order to receive the residency work permit, you have to provide proof that you:

  • Have graduated. 
  • Are financially able to support your say.
  • Have secured housing.

Are students allowed to work during this 6 months period?

During this six month period, graduates can work up to 15 hours a week. These rules do not apply for EU/EFTA nationals as they benefit from the freedom of movement under bilateral agreements.

How difficult is for international students to find a permanent job after graduation in Switzerland?

A non-EU/EFTA can get a job in Switzerland only if there are no qualified individuals from within the Swiss labour market or from an EU/EFTA state that apply for the position. Employers are required to show that they made “big efforts” to find qualified applicants from EU/EFTA countries or nationals who already have a permit to work. Furthermore, employers must show why those with priority to get the job were not suitable candidates for the position.


Your message has been sent.
You will soon by contacted by Oxfod University.