In Switzerland, higher education is instituted and valued immensely. Due to many international students choosing this country as their destination for academic advancement, Switzerland has become generous throughout the years. For a guide into the general Swiss scholarships, please take a look at this article, while in this one, we’ll be tackling Swiss scholarships exclusively for international students.
Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Students
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are given to international students who show superior academic excellence. Usually, if a certain university is offering the scholarship, you must priorly be admitted into one of their programs to win it.
Excellence Scholarships of the University of St. Gallen
The University of St. Gallen offers two different Excellence Scholarships, which are granted to international students enrolled in Bachelor studies at the University of St.Gallen based on merit. At present, a grantee receives a scholarship of CHF 18,756.
- International students with internationally recognized and relevant educational qualifications and certificates
- You have to have passed the internal admission test of the University of St.Gallen
- Timely submission of the documents in accordance with the application process.
- Submit a letter of motivation of 600 words, explaining the reason for choosing the field of study and the HSG and the reason as to why you should receive the scholarship
- Send a video in mp4 quality, which must be submitted using the online formulary to the Advice Center of Study Funding. The applicant should introduce himself/herself personally in the video and give a presentation of curriculum vitae (origin and family are relevant). Creativity is majorly encouraged. You can also include extracurricular activities.
- The quality and creativity of the video clip, which can underline that you are an exceptional person, are relevant assessment criteria.
Deadline: 8 days after the HSG admission test in Summer: 16th July 2020. This deadline also applies to applicants who pass their entrance exams in February.
ETH Zurich Excellence Scholarship 2020/2021 for International Masters Students
The Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme (ESOP) supports students with a scholarship, mentorship, and the ETH Foundation network. The scholarship covers the full study and living costs during the Master’s degree course. External applicants must also apply for a Master’s degree program at ETH Zurich. The Excellence Scholarship consists of a grant covering living and study expenses (CHF 12’000 per semester) and a tuition fee waiver. The scholarship starts with the Master’s degree program and is awarded for the regular duration of the Master’s program (three or four semesters).
- The scholarship programs are open to excellent students (national and international) wanting to pursue their Master’s degree at ETH Zurich.
- Great results in the Bachelor’s degree program (top 10% of the Bachelor’s degree program = grade A
- Reachability under the specified telephone number in your CV
- Submit the application form
- Write a letter of motivation (1-2 pages)
- Pre-proposal for your Master’s thesis
- Attach your CV
- Attach two reference letters from professors
- Reference letters must be submitted with the Master application online.
- ETH students continuing a consecutive Master program add the reference letters in closed envelopes to their ESOP application.
Deadline: 15 December
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists for the 2020-2021 Academic Year
Every year, the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships for international post-graduate researchers in any discipline. This is done to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and 180 other countries.
The Swiss government scholarships are based on partnerships established with several countries and are offered through the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS). These scholarships are granted to postgraduate candidates and artists.
- highly motivated, competitive young researchers’ who have graduated from University with a Master’s degree for pursuing doctoral or postdoctoral level studies or Bachelor’s for grantees of Fine Arts Scholarships.
- The Master’s degree or equivalent university needs to be recognized by the Swiss university you apply in.
- The applicant must have achieved their degree before applying for the scholarship
- Applicants must be born after 31 December 1983 and those who have been in Switzerland for more than one year at the beginning of the scholarship in September are not eligible to apply
- submit the application by email from the Swiss Embassy of your country of origin
- send a signed FCS application form (typed and printed) with a photo
- include a full CV with a list of academic publications, awards, etc.
Deadline: between September – December
International Scholarship École Polytechnique Fédérale De Lausanne (EPFL) Summer Fellowships, Switzerland
This three-month fellowship allows you to dive into cutting-edge research projects. The School of Computer and Communication Sciences of EPFL offers summer fellowships to international students. Accepted students will receive a living allowance of CHF 1,600.- per month and a refund of travel costs. With the help of senior scientists, those who participate in this program get the chance to develop in their chosen field.
- Open to Bachelor’s and Master’s students enrolled in BSc, BTech, MSc, MTech, or equivalent programs in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Telecommunications, or Electrical Engineering.
- Applicants must be enrolled in the 2nd year Bachelor or above.
- Projects are offered competitively to students with excellent academic results.
- you will need to fill in some information about yourself, choose up to three domains of scientific interests
- You will need to upload a CV, all your university transcripts (send both the originals and a translation (no need for the translation to be official; you can do it yourself).
- A letter of motivation in PDF (ideally on one page and anyway not longer than two pages). You should use the letter of motivation to describe your scientific interests and the reasons that made you apply.
*The only format they support is PDF.
Due to significantly different summer recess periods and related constraints for visa processing, the applications are received twice a year:
- one for students in Indian institutions
- one for students from the rest of the world
Deadline: the Sunday closest to 1st FEBRUARY
*for Indian students, the Sunday closest to 15th NOVEMBER
Master’s Scholarships in Switzerland for International Students
Alfred Werner Master’s Student Scholarships
This scholarship targets students from foreign countries ranking in the top 10% of their undergraduate programs. The Foundation offers a maximum of ten scholarships of CHF 25’000 each. The goal of the program is to support talented students to perform their MSc studies in Switzerland.
Eligibility: The SCS Foundation grants scholarships for students to carry out Master of Science (MSc) degree studies in Chemistry or Biochemistry at a Swiss University or one of the Federal Institutes of Technology. Master’s degree courses in Switzerland are generally given in English, and the tuition fees are minimal.
Application process: Candidates must apply for admission to an M.Sc. program at a Swiss University or a Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (see Foundation website for contacts) and, at the same time, ask for the support of the institution for an Alfred Werner Scholarship. Since the university admission and selection process may take as long as two months, candidates are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.
Deadline: The Foundation expects to receive the nominations of the different institutions by mid-April.
International Academic Master’s Scholarship at Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts in Switzerland
A master’s degree allows students to continue their personal development and advance their careers by building on their specialization. The International Academic Scholarship will be granted to international students enrolled in a master’s degree program at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts as of the 2020 autumn semester based on their academic performance.
Eligibility: International students who
- Hold a recognized bachelor’s degree.
- Have been admitted to a master’s program by one of the Schools of the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts and recommended as a candidate for the scholarship.
- Have performed at a good level in their prior studies.
- Lack the financial means to study at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts.
Application process: Along with their application for the master’s degree program with the study secretariat responsible, the candidate is required to submit a motivation letter (1-2 pages), a letter of recommendation, a CV, a financial self-declaration, and a two-minute video. The video must contain answers to the following questions:
- What makes you want to study at our university?
- Do you have a vision and innovative career perspective, and what are they?
- What makes you an ideal recipient of an International Academic Scholarship?
Deadline: **The International Academic Scholarship will not be advertised for the academic year 21/22.
These scholarships target international students with the intention to help scholars financially for their higher education abroad.
The MyUS Global Perspectives Scholarship
As a global organization, MyUS.com has taken on contributing to the future of international business leaders’ success by offering an educational scholarship of $2,500 so scholars can use it for expenses like tuition, fees, books, and accommodation.
- The applicant must be currently enrolled at an officially recognized, accredited college or university and must be currently enrolled in or have already been accepted into a study abroad program or as an international student.
- Applicants must currently be in good standing with their respective university, college, or high school. Students who have been suspended, are on academic probation or have otherwise violated any university/college rules will be disqualified.
- Apply by sending an email to [email protected]
- Scholars are required to write a 500-word essay detailing why they chose an international program, how they feel that program will enhance their studies, how they feel the program will impact their perspectives of other cultures, and its impact on future business successes. Additionally, the essay should clearly articulate how they believe their experience studying abroad will make them increasingly competitive in today’s global job market.
- Attach a photo of yourself (image must feature you alone)
- You can include any additional relevant information you feel will help tell your story.
Deadline: May 1st, 2020
Women in Economics Scholarship by European Central Bank
The ECB wants to contribute to the development of women’s careers in the economics profession by granting 10,000EUR to five female economics students, intended to fund the recipients’ studies.
- An EU citizen
- Currently enrolled, or about to enroll, in a Master’s qualification in economics at a European university or business school
- In need of financial aid, and the funding gap may prevent from pursuing studies
- Excellent grades in your undergraduate studies
- Proof of acceptance at or enrolment in a master’s degree program in economics,
- Official transcripts of their undergraduate academic record,
- Proof of household income / financial need,
- Current résumé
- Motivation, including information such as reasons for pursuing a specific field of study
- Research and career interests
Deadline: Applications will open in March 2020. We plan to hold interviews in May and June 2020
Studyportals Scholarship International Distinction Awards 2020
The scholarship is divided into 2 International Distinction Awards. They will be offered to 2 future international students, who will prove their potential of transforming the world into a better place. The International Distinction Awards have a total value of 15,000 EUR, with the big prize being 10,000 EUR.
- Plan to study a full-time undergraduate (Bachelor’s) or postgraduate (Master’s or Ph.D.) program abroad
- Plan to enroll in the Autumn semester of 2021 at an accredited university
- Be 18 years of age or older on the application deadline day
- Provide a Letter of Acceptance from the academic institution by the application deadline
- Register and answer a few questions about yourself
- Explore the sites portals and use their features to find the best degree for you
- Apply to the university (and the program) of your dreams
- Submit a Letter of Acceptance and motivation by the date of the deadline
Deadline: 30 June 2021
Kizi Scholarship Program
The kizi.com board is committed to awarding $2000 in scholarships to encourage and assist students whose educational opportunities will be expanded by financial assistance. Scholarships are currently awarded to deserving students in all countries.
- Undergraduate students enrolled (or to be enrolled) on a full-time basis at an accredited four-year college or university
- Undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. students majoring in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Science, and similar departments
- A minimum grade average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent
- Demonstrated financial need or hardship
- Surname, First Name, Address, Telephone, Country
- University Name, Department, Course Name, Recent Transcript, Year
- University/Course administrator name and contact info, Date of Application, Signature
*your university needs to accept partnership. Please consult university authorization for this info.
Deadline: April 1, 2020
Swiss Benevolent Society of New York Scholarship
Medicus Student Exchange Scholarship
The program provides partial financial support for the U.S. Residents at the junior, senior, or graduate college level who have been accepted to study at a Swiss University or Federal Institute of Technology. The full amount of these grants is paid directly to the university upon proof of registration.
- You are a U.S. Resident.
- You are permanently domiciled in the U.S.
- You have been accepted to a Swiss University or a Federal Institute of Technology.
- You will study full-time at the undergraduate (college junior or senior) or graduate school level.
Mail your application form together with the following documents
- Proof of applicant’s U.S. citizenship or U.S. residency.
- Proof of SAT / ACT or GRE / GMAT results.
- Proof of cost for tuition, room, and board.
- Proof of proficiency in the language of instruction
By April 30th, you should provide:
- Official transcripts of all high school, college, and graduate grades (no copies).
- Electronic transcripts are only accepted if the Swiss Benevolent Society can download the transcripts from the university’s website or if the sender is the respective school.
- Letter of acceptance from Swiss University, Federal Institute of Technology, or Technical College (Fachhochschule).
- Two academic recommendations from professors in the applicant’s major area of study, on official letterhead
Deadline: March 31st, 2020
We wish you the best of luck on this journey and hope you get the scholarship you’re aiming for!