If you’re a student who wants to study in Switzerland but is not quite sure what you need to do to be prepared, read on.

Since Switzerland is a part of the Schengen zone, a Schengen visa will win you the right to go to the country, but if you want to stay there as a student you must take a few more steps. The procedures are different for EU/EFTA and non-EU/EFTA students.

EU/EFTA Resident Students

Are you an EU/EFTA resident? In that case, you won’t need a visa. You will only need to register with their local authorities in the town you are staying in within 14 days of arriving in Switzerland. That’s where you will get a residence permit.

The applicant must prove that they have come to Switzerland to study and that they are enrolled at a university. For this, they will need a certificate from the school or institution. They also must prove that they have health insurance and can cover their living costs during their stay. The residence permit is usually issued for the duration of the program, but depending on the student’s situation, it might be issued yearly.

Students can hold jobs but for no more than 15 hours a week, otherwise, they must apply for a work permit. The student’s family (spouse and children) can join the student in Switzerland, but the student has to show they have enough resources to accommodate them.

Switzerland Visa for Non-EU/EFTA

As for non-EU/EFTA member states students, they must apply for a visa at the Swiss embassy or consulate in their home country. The application must include a few documents.

  • A certificate from the school or institution to be attended,
  • Proof of payment of school fees and means of support during studies,
  • A written commitment that you will leave Switzerland upon completion of the program,
  • Your CV

Swiss authorities may also organize a language test to make sure the student is able to follow lessons.

Afterward, you will need to apply for a saying permit. The cantons are responsible for issuing permits.

What Type of Visa Do I Need?

Depending on the duration of your studies there are two types of visas which you can apply for.

  • C Visa –  is a short-time visa that allows its keeper to reside in Switzerland for a short period of time. This visa is perfect for summer schools, seminars, and language schools that last up to three months.
  • D Visa – is a long-time visa for people looking to study, work, or reside in Switzerland. International students are granted a Schengen visa for a period of one year with the possibility of extension.

Swiss Visa Appointment

Where do I apply?

The first step, after getting the acceptance letter from your university, should be setting an appointment with the Swiss embassy or consulate in your area. These procedures take time, so make sure to set the appointment 6 months prior to your studying. The processing time for the short stay visas is around 10-15 days and for long-stay visas, eight to ten weeks

Your documents will need to be in French, German, or English. If they are not that language, you will need a certified translation of those documents.

Switzerland Student Visa Requirements

Applying for a visa can be a bureaucratic and tiring experience.

  • Application for a long-stay visa (visa D) – three forms, filled and signed
  • Four passport-size photographs
  • Passport – valid three months beyond the planned stay
  • Letter of acceptance issued by a Swiss university
  • Proof of payment of the registration and tuition fees – original and copy
  • Proof of sufficient financial coverage of living costs in Switzerland for the duration of schooling (21,000 CHF or 19,200 EUR at the beginning of each year of your studies)
  • Scholarship/Loan proof – Letter of an institution that all expenses for the study will be covered by the scholarship or loan
  • CV
  • Letter of motivation
  • Commitment to leave Switzerland on completion of studies

Work and Study

Working while studying is an option for many foreign students in Switzerland. While some universities don’t recommend that as it can be distracting and affect your academic work. Other schools facilitate job searches with job boards and other advisory services.

  • The working hours for students are limited during the school year and there are a few requirements that you fulfill.
  • International students can work up to 15 hours a week
  • During semester holidays international students can work up to 100%.
  • Students from outside the EU/EFTA countries may start working only 6 months after starting their degree program.

There you go—the steps of obtaining a student visa in Switzerland. Good luck!

    1. Hi Khurshad,

      The application process and admission requirements change from one university to the other. We would advise you to decide on a university fist and then see what are their admission requirements.

      Good luck!

  1. what kind of visa do i need if i am to study for four years under scholarship and wish to come with my family

    1. Hi Joy,

      What country are you from?
      We’re looking forward to hearing from you.

      Best wishes.

  2. Hello,

    Currently I am planning to start studying in Switzerland in September. However, in France (the country that I live in), the applications for student visa are not accepted and I do not know when they will start accepting them. But, I was planning to visit South Korea during summer and it seems like they are accepting student visa applications starting from beginning of June. In this case, would it be possible to submit my student visa application in Korea and then receive the visa once I come back to France?

    Thank you and I will be waiting for your reply.

  3. Is there any way around the :

    Proof of sufficient financial coverage of living costs in Switzerland for the duration of schooling (21,000 CHF or 19,200 EUR at the beginning of each year of your studies)

    My schooling will be paid by scholarship, and should allow about 5,000 extra. Does that mean that I still have to show proof of 15,000 more (give or take of course).

    Can future earnings be included?

    I’m from a poor family in Peru, and 21,000CHF is more than my entire family makes in a year. I have the resourse to survive, but what is the least that I can prove to the government?

  4. Hello,

    I’ll be studying for 18months, to commence in February 2021.
    My Passport expires in June 2022. Can I still apply for the visa and renew my passport when it is close to expiration, considering that my passport won’t expire until two years time?

  5. I’m a Chinese national and currently residing in Ireland. May I know if I can join a part time Mba course in Switzerland? what type of visa would I need to apply? Thank you!

  6. Can I travel around Europe with my Swiss student visa? Let’s say during semester break, I’d like to travel to France.

  7. I’m interested to study in switzerland. Can you suggest me the best university for tourism education.How can i get started??

  8. With Swiss study visa for a Canton were the college is situated..can I stay at different Canton and will I have the visa for staying or traveling in all the cantons of Switzerland??

  9. Regarding the work provision, I am a completely remote digital marketing consultant for a childrens hospital. The hospital is based in the US. Would the six-month restriction still apply? I work between 20-30 hrs/week. I will be in Geneva.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.