Program Overview

  • 3 years


  • 720 CHF/Semester

    Tuition Fees

  • Feb/April

    Application Deadline

  • Full Time


  • On-Campus

    Delivery Mode

  • German


The Bachelor program in Communication and Media Research at the Univerity of Zurich provides students with comprehensive knowledge, familiarity with the research findings, and more in-depth empirical-methodological qualifications in the social sciences. Students will gain skills such as theoretical, communicative, methodological, and organizational during this program, which will open many career paths for them in fields like media, production, media management, public relations, media marketing, etc.

Key Facts

Autumn Semester

  • Application deadline

    April 30. 2021


  • Application deadline

    Feb 28, 2021

    International For prospective students who require a visa and are therefore dependent on receiving the admission decision in a timely manner for their visa application.

  • Credit 180 ECTS/6 semesters

Admission Requirements

Admission with a Swiss Matriculation Certificate

Providing there are no obstacles to admission, the following certificates entitle the holder to be admitted to all faculties:

  • Federal or Swiss-recognized maturity certificate
  • Maturity certificate from the Federal or Swiss Baccalaureate Commission (Eidgenössische bzw. Schweizerische Maturitätskommission);
  • Bachelor’s degree diploma, Master’s degree diploma, licentiate, diploma or doctorate from a Swiss university.
  • Degree certificate of a regular degree program lasting at least three years at a university of applied sciences or university of teacher education,
  • Federal professional maturity certificate or Liechtenstein professional maturity certificate recognized by the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI), in combination with proof of passing supplementary examinations;
  • Specialized maturity certificate recognized in all of Switzerland, in combination with proof of passing supplementary examinations.
  • Maturity certificate from the Zurich Cantonal Baccalaureate Commission (Zürcher Kantonale Maturitätskommission);
  • Certificate of having passed the University of Zurich’s entrance examination;
  • Specialized baccalaureate certificate in education (Lehramtsmaturitätszeugnis), and graduation certificate evidencing primary level teacher training at an “Unterseminar” college in the Canton of Zurich;
  • Swiss specialized baccalaureate in education (Schweizerische Lehramtsmaturität) and primary school teaching diploma (Primarlehrerpatent),
  • Teaching diploma for lower secondary level (Sekundarlehrerdiplom or Bezirkslehrerdiplom);
  • Certificate of having passed the comprehensive entrance examination for a Federal Institute of Technology, providing it is no more than two years old.

Admission with a Non-Swiss Matriculation Certificate

  • The sole educational objective of the upper secondary school was to prepare students to study at the university level. In addition, the school-leaving certificate must represent the general higher education entrance qualification in its country of origin.
  • In terms of the educational content and duration of education, the school-leaving certificate must correspond to a Swiss maturity certificate (gymnasialer Maturitätsausweis).
  • Depending on the type of certificate, the University of Zurich may determine that the prospective student must have achieved a minimum overall grade.

A non-Swiss upper secondary school-leaving certificate gained in a signatory state to the Lisbon Recognition Convention

Complimentary Examination set by the Swiss Higher Education Institutions (ECUS)
Anyone who holds a non-Swiss upper secondary school-leaving certificate gained in a state which has not signed the Lisbon Recognition Convention must generally also pass the complementary examination set by the Swiss higher education institutions (ECUS) to be admitted to a Bachelor’s study program.

Country-Specific Admission Requirements
The swissuniversities website lists, for individual countries, the upper secondary school-leaving certificates and the specific prerequisites under which they permit admission to a Bachelor’s program at the University of Zurich.

Language Requirements

The main language of instruction for all Bachelor’s study programs is German, although individual modules may be offered in English or in other languages. Foreign-language applicants must prove that they have the necessary German skills of at least level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).


Bachelor’s Program, Swiss University Entrance Qualification

Fact Sheet: Documents to Submit
When filling out the online application form, under the point “documents to submit” you will be asked to upload the following documents:

  • A signed declaration of consent
  • Current photo, in color, aspect ratio 3:4, image size at least 400×533 pixel
    For the UZH Card.
  • Copy of official identification (passport or ID, no residence permit)
    Please scan all pages of the document, incl. the Student ID Number (if existing).
  • University entrance qualification – University entrance qualifications can be your Swiss matura, a vocational school-leaving certificate with “Passarelle,” university diploma, or an entrance examination certificate.
  • Confirmation of withdrawal from the last higher education institution you attended
  •  Previous university certificates (transcript of records and, if available, university diploma and diploma supplement)

[PDF File]

Bachelor’s Study Program – Applicants with Foreign Qualification

  • A signed declaration of consent
  • Current photo, in color, aspect ratio 3:4, image size at least 400×533 pixel
    For the UZH Card.
  • Copy of official identification (passport or ID, no residence permit)
  •  CV
  • Upper secondary school-leaving certificate
  • Certificates/reports for the last three school years (or six semesters)
    Please submit a full list of all the subjects you did. If at the time you apply your
    certificate/report for the last semester or school year is not yet available, please submit it immediately once you receive it.
  • For applicants with an International Baccalaureate: Instead of certificates/reports for the last three school years: Final diploma with a list of subjects and overall grade, or if you have not yet obtained your International Baccalaureate, an official list from your school of all subjects (SL and HL) that must be taken to acquire the diploma.
  • For applicants with qualifications from the British education system:
    Instead of certificates/reports for the last three school years: All certificates (Pearson Edexcel, AQA, or OCR) and an official list from your school of all subjects and levels not yet taken.
  • University diploma (transcript of records, university diploma, and diploma supplement)
  • Proof of sufficient skills in German
  • Official proof of admission to study the desired subject at a recognized university in the country in which the upper secondary school-leaving certificate/university entrance qualification originated. Proof of admission to study by distance learning is not accepted.

[PDF File]

For further information, check the University of Zurich admission page. 

Fees and Funding

Tuition Fees

  • National

    720 CHF/Semester

  • International Surcharge for foreign students at Bachelor level is 500 CHF

    1220 CHF/Semester

Living costs for Zurich

  • Living Costs


Getting a Student Visa

Since Switzerland is a part of the Schengen zone, a Schengen visa will win you the right to go to the country, but if you want to stay there as a student, you must take a few more steps. The procedures are different for EU/EFTA and non-EU/EFTA students.

After getting the acceptance letter, follows the process of setting an appointment with the Swiss embassy or consulate in your country. The procedure takes time, so make sure to set the appointment six months prior to your studying. The processing time for the short stay visas is around 10-15 days, and for long stay visas, eight to ten weeks.

For each document required, you have to provide the original along with three copies. The papers should be in English or in one of Switzerland’s national languages (German, French, Italian, or Romansh). If they are not in one of these languages, you will need a certified translation of those documents. 

Switzerland Student Visa Requirements

  • The completed and signed application forms for a long stay visa (D type) in one of the languages mentioned above. 
  • Passport – valid three months beyond the planned stay.
  • Four passport-size biometric photographs.
  • Letter of acceptance (certificate of enrollment) issued by a Swiss university.
  • Paid visa application fee. 
  • Proof of payment of the registration and tuition fees (for the first year of your studies).
  • Proof of sufficient financial coverage: copies of bank statements or a letter from the bank provided by you or your supervisor. Funds are supposed to cover living costs in Switzerland for the duration of schooling (21,000 CHF or 19,200 EUR at the beginning of each year of your studies).
  • Scholarship/Loan proof (if available) from an institution that proves that the scholarship or loan will cover all expenses for the study.
  • CV.
  • Letter of motivation, which should also include your professional plans for the future.

Submitting the Switzerland student visa application

After filling the application and completing all required documents, you should submit them in person at the Swiss embassy/consulate at the designated time of your appointment. Along with submitting your documents, you are required to pay the Swiss student visa application fee. 

After receiving your Swiss Student Visa

You may enter Switzerland after you receive a student visa. Within the first two weeks of arrival, you have to register at the local Residents Registration Office of your canton as well as visit the cantonal migration office in order to obtain a residence permit form.

B permit (a biometric card) is the type of residence permit for student stay. Prior to that, you will receive an attestation that allows you to open a Swiss bank account. It will take up to 8 weeks for your B permit to be processed. 

Student Visa Validity

The student visa or the B permit obtained in Switzerland initially is valid for one year. After one year, you have the option to extend it. However, updated proof of income is required in order for your student visa to be extended.


If you’re a student who wants to study in Switzerland but are not quite sure what are the steps of the student visa application process,  you are advised to read the following resources on Everything You Need To Know about getting a visa for Switzerland.

Work Permit

Find out all you need to know about work permit regulations for working part-time (during studies) and full-time (after graduation) in Switzerland.

Work while studying in Switzerland

For many international students in Switzerland, working while studying is an ideal option. Still, that is not recommended by some universities since it can distract and affect your academic work. With job boards and other advisory services, other schools facilitate job searches to help students. During the school year, students’ working hours are limited, and there are a few requirements they need to fulfill.

How many hours are international students allowed to work per week?

International students can work up to 15 hours a week in part-time jobs. But during semester holidays students can work full-time.


When are students allowed to start working?

Students from outside the EU/EFTA countries may start working only 6 months after starting their degree program.

Is there a work permit required for students working part-time?

Citizens from EU-27/EFTA states do not require authorization for short-term employment up to three months or 90 days per the calendar year. For an extended time, they will have to earn a residence permit. Third-country nationals are obliged to submit numerous documents to prove their eligibility for a work permit in Switzerland.

What job can I get as a student in Switzerland?

During your years as a student, there are many part-time jobs that you can do. For most students, employment in retail, restaurants, and others are sought-after options. However, a lack of language skills (in German, French, or Italian) can limit your employment chances. 

Work after graduation in Switzerland

Upon your graduation, you have the right to look for a permanent job in Switzerland. Prior to that, a residency permit that allows you to search for a job should be obtained. The permit is only valid for 6 months, and it cannot be extended.

What requirements do students need to fulfill in order to receive a residency work permit?

In order to receive the residency work permit, you have to provide proof that you:

  • Have graduated. 
  • Are financially able to support your say.
  • Have secured housing.

Are students allowed to work during this 6 months period?

During this six month period, graduates can work up to 15 hours a week. These rules do not apply for EU/EFTA nationals as they benefit from the freedom of movement under bilateral agreements.

How difficult is for international students to find a permanent job after graduation in Switzerland?

A non-EU/EFTA can get a job in Switzerland only if there are no qualified individuals from within the Swiss labour market or from an EU/EFTA state that apply for the position. Employers are required to show that they made “big efforts” to find qualified applicants from EU/EFTA countries or nationals who already have a permit to work. Furthermore, employers must show why those with priority to get the job were not suitable candidates for the position.


Your message has been sent.
You will soon by contacted by Oxfod University.