Ranking The University's position in the QS World University Rankings 2021.
The University of Bern is a comprehensive university in the tradition of European universities. Driven by scientific interests and social needs, the University of Bern establishes disciplinary and interdisciplinary foci and so develops its own profile. UNIBE is committed to freedom in teaching and research, it promotes the participation of students and of employees at all levels by involving those belonging to it in self-government and integrating them in decision-making processes.
Top reasons to study here
- Knowledge creates value
- Extensive range of courses
- Teaching and Research
- The university in the center of the capital
- International cooperation
Bachelor Programs (5)
The University of Bern was found in the 16th century as a theological school for pastors to get trained. Afterward, Bern Administration decided to convert it into an academy with four faculties. In addition to pastors, lawyers, and medical professionals have been able to complete a full degree in Bern. In 1968, the university already had 5,000 students, whereas in 1992 the university passed the threshold of 10,000 students.
The university is comprised of 8 faculties, and offers numerous courses with a wide range of combination options, even beyond the faculty boundaries. Whether you want to combine economics with archeology or psychology with computer science, you are offered many options. There are around 60 Bachelor, and 83 Master programs, Ph.D. in all disciplines and more than 200 executive programs. Courses include theology, humanities, law, the economic and social sciences, medicine, veterinary medicine and sciences.
The University of Bern is concentrated and distinguishes itself in five different areas of research:
- Sustainability (with a focus on climate, coping with global change and regulating world trade, biodiversity and resource research)
- Health & Medicine (with top performance in the medical, natural and human sciences as well as in the veterinary field)
- Matter & Universe (with basic research in the field of particle physics and space research)
- intercultural knowledge (for the exchange and understanding of one’s own and other cultures)
- Politics & Administration (as a university for the capital region)
UNIBE is dedicated to promoting young scientists and has designed contemporary framework conditions in order to facilitate their academic careers.
IT Services Office
The IT Services Office supports students, teachers, and administration staff with many IT-related services, support, as well as advice. Their responsibilities include planning and installation, ensuring uninterrupted, secure operation of the entire wired and wireless network. They provide services in the areas of hosting, server maintenance, server virtualization, storage services, authentication infrastructure, and groupware.
The University Library Bern is comprised of 29 libraries: academic field and faculty libraries as well as the Münstergasse library and the institute libraries of the University of Bern.
The University Library Bern offers:
- Appropriate learning environments (reading places, group rooms, technical infrastructure)
- Books and professional journals
- E-journals, e-books, and specialist databases
- Courses on professional researching, writing, and citing
- Support and infrastructure for academic publications
- A repository for publications of the University of Bern and the data for the publication lists of researchers
- Old prints, historical maps, and special collections such as the archive of psychiatrist Hermann Rorschach and the Rossica Europeana of the Swiss Library of Eastern Europe
The University Library Bern is the university library and at the same time a public, academic cantonal library that collects writings from and about the canton of Bern (Bernensia).
Gender Equality Office
The Gender Equality office is in charge of advising university units (students, teaching and research assistants, professors, administrative employees) in gender-equality-relevant matters. They are the contact point for members of the university who feel any kind of gender discrimination from other parties. Advisory sessions are in the strictest confidence.
The Swiss Accreditation Council accredited the study program in Veterinary Medicine at the Faculty Vetsuisse of the Universities of Bern and Zurich (the merger of the Faculties of veterinary medicine of the Universities of Bern and Zurich.)
Your message has been sent. You will soon by contacted by Oxfod University.CLOSE THIS PAGE